Whether you need to upgrade or simply wanting to get rid of an unwanted pre-owned laptop computer, it makes sense to check if it has any resale value first. And because there are so many electronics buy-back companies out there, getting an estimate on an older laptop won’t be an issue. Furthermore, you can get several offers, compare quotes and pick the best one!
This post will guide you through the online buy-back company selection process and give you a few useful tips on preparing your pre-owned laptop for sale.
Before You Sell Your Laptop
Even if you don’t have a buyer yet, start with prepping your used computer for sale. Specific laptop models can be sold pretty quickly, so having it reset and cleaned up beforehand means you can hand it over to the new owner right the way.
Preparing includes backing up your data, deleting it from your laptop, and resetting it for factory settings, as well as cleaning the device to make it look neat and sellable.
To create a backup, you can either use cloud storage like Google Drive, iCloud and Dropbox or save your data on an external hard drive. After that, erase it from your laptop by performing a factory reset. Finally, clean all exterior surfaces with a soft cloth. And voila, you are done!
Choosing a Buy-Back Company
Online re-commerce buy-back services eliminate all hassles and liabilities associated with selling your pre-owned device. They are perfect for busy professionals or first-time and occasional sellers.
There are, however, a few important factors to consider when selecting whom to do business with:
- The number of years in business. Even though new companies enter the re-commerce market every year, it would probably be safer to go with an established reputable firm. A solid track record tells you they know what they are doing.
- Customers’ reviews and accreditations. Let’s face it, we google reviews before we settle on a place to eat nowadays, and the same should apply to picking a resale platform. Check what other customers are saying about the business on review sites like Reseller Ratings, Trustpilot, Google Reviews, etc. Another thing to look for is the Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating and accreditation. As a non-profit organization that evaluates companies each year, BBB is a great independent source of information and can help you make an educated decision.
- Social media presence. An established business should have a good social media presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Linkedin. The way interaction with users within a platform takes place can tell you a lot about the company.
- Payout options. This one is simple: the more options you have, the better. If you want to get paid quickly, opt for a business that offers electronic payouts. With payment processors like PayPal, Zelle, and Venmo, you will receive the money instantly. However, a company check is also a solid and reliable option; just give it a few extra business days to arrive in the mail.
- Response time. The time a company takes to address inquiries and concerns matters. A prompt reply shows that they value their customers’ time. Allowing a business 24 business hours to get back to you is a common courtesy, however. If they did not get back to you right the way, wait a few business days and follow up during regular business hours. But if you don’t hear back for an extended period or at all, perhaps it means you should consider other buy-back places. And luckily, there are plenty of other companies that would gladly buy your used laptop out there.
Trusted Online Laptop Buy-Back Service
Gadget Salvation is a tried and trusted online buy-back platform specifically designed to help users sell their pre-owned electronic devices. Gadget Salvation accepts PC laptops, MacBook’s, smartphones, tablets, and more in exchange for cash payments. The company started back in 2008 and has repurposed thousands of unwanted devices since, making sure your gadgets don’t end up in landfills. Their business motto is “Go green, make green!”
The selling process with Gadget Salvation is easy, straightforward, and convenient: the entire transaction virtually takes place online. You can get an estimate and place a sale order from your computer or a mobile device. The only time you’d need to leave your house is to drop off your device at the shipping carrier. On the bright side, they will cover the postage cost!
Your payment gets issued within one to two business days of them receiving and verifying the condition of your gadget. Customers can choose to receive their payments via Zelle, PayPal, Venmo, or by a paper check.
And if you never heard of Gadget Salvation, please take the time to check what other customers are saying about them online in Trustpilot.
How it Works
As mentioned above, selling with Gadget Salvation is simple and can be done in just a few clicks. For example, to sell a laptop, follow these three easy steps:
- Look up your laptop model in their database and receive an instant estimate based on its cosmetic and functional condition. If you like what you see, fill out the checkout form and print out our prepaid shipping label.
If you have trouble finding your model, use their live Chat tool or submit a quick contact form. Gadget Salvation team is pretty quick about adding new models to their site.
- Package your laptop in a sturdy box with plenty of protective padding and drop it off at the nearest UPS store. The company encourages its customers to reuse the delivery boxes whenever possible to reduce cardboard waste.
- Wait for them to receive your laptop and your payment to clear. Once the Gadget Salvation team inspects your gadget, the payment then gets submitted for processing. That’s it!
The pandemic has taught us how to live and transact within a virtual internet space. And selling pre-owned technology is no exception. Of course, there are plenty of ways to get rid of an unwanted laptop, but it is nice to be able to get a few bucks out of it. “Every dollar counts” is another lesson we all learned this past year. But even if the laptop is too old to sell, make sure to recycle it properly. Most online buy-back services will be able to assist you with that.